April 2020 Update
We would usually want to try to say something peppy and fun to get your attention in this update, but the state of the world really makes that feel strange. We hope you’re all staying as safe as you can, and getting by as best you can. This moment makes us realize how much we value all of you and the community we’ve been sharing with you for 20 years. So this update, like this year, will be a little different, but we’re encouraged to know you’re out there and with us as we navigate this new and uncharted global situation. Most of this year is up in the air for us, as it is for everyone, but there’s still some news to be shared and some dance to be had (details below!). Until we meet again, stay tuned and stay safe!
- Like everyone else, we just don’t know what the rest of 2020 will look like, and we’re respecting the Shelter in Place orders to only go out for essential work and activities. We don’t yet know what this will mean for our events in 2020 (especially as we are defaulting to being very careful related to any health and safety issues), but at this point we can say that Big Moves as an organization looks to be in a good position to ride this out.
- THIS SUNDAY 4/26: Day of Dance goes virtual! That’s right! Our low-pressure, high-joy annual event will be going live this Sunday afternoon. Take a dance break while you’re sheltering in place; we’ll be beaming some fun over the internet with bite-sized, beginner-friendly classes from sweet and talented instructors, and a zoom room full of participants committed to moving joyfully in their bodies, regardless of size. Drop in for a class or stay for the whole day! While we’re sad we can’t be together in the same physical space, we’re excited that the virtual format means people from outside the Bay Area can also join in. This day has always been intended as a place where people wanting to dip their toes into dance can do so in a comfortable way, and we’re hoping people will take advantage of this virtual opportunity! This event is FREE and open to the public, but you must register through this form: https://forms.gle/KfGtuU5N9pTNVNwa7 For more information visit the event page here.
- emFATic DANCE has been meeting over zoom for our regular rehearsals, and we’re talking about possibly opening some of these sessions to students. We’ve thrown around ideas about a stretch and strength class geared toward this time of shelter in place, a ballet and jazz skills class for larger dancers, and other ideas. Let us know if you’d be interested, or have an idea of what you’d like to see! We’re limited by the space of our homes and the virtual medium, but we’d still like to see some students’ faces in the studio. Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- In compliance with Shelter in Place, we are not currently accepting donations for Cupcakes and Muffintops. We know that many of you have been cleaning out your closets while you’re at home, and we’re so thrilled you’ve thought of us for your clothes! We’ll be very excited to receive your donations when we are able to do so again.
- We’re all thrown into new situations and managing new challenges right now, so it might take us longer than usual to respond to questions and inquiries. We appreciate your patience and understanding about this- we promise we will get back to you, it just might not be fast!
Thank you and we miss you all.